Hours of Work: Full time – 37.5 hours per week
Shift length: 12.5 hours
Accountable to: The Medical Director / Hospital Manager
Reporting to: The Head Nurse
To be responsible for the assessment of the care needs of patients and the development, implementation, and evaluation of care plans under the direction of the Head Nurse, thereby ensuring that a high standard of care is delivered.
Professional Standards Required
- Maintain current registration as a nurse with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC).
- Practice within the framework of the NMC Code of Professional Practice.
- Maintain Continual Professional Development (CPD) and satisfy the NMC’s requirements in relation to Post-registration Education and Practice (PREP).
- Maintain confidentiality as set out in Castle Craig Hospital’s Confidentiality Procedure.
We are looking for candidates who will be able to ensure that nursing care is delivered in accordance with Castle Craig Hospital’s policies and procedures.
In this role you be required to perform the following:
- Be involved in the setting and maintaining of high standards of nursing care and maintain review, and improve the quality of care.
- Ensure the safety of patients, staff, and visitors through compliance with Health and Safety requirements.
- Carry out risk assessments and prepare risk management plans in compliance with the hospital’s risk management procedures in collaboration with medical staff.
- Report accidents and incidents using the appropriate forms in a comprehensive and timely manner.
- Take charge of the nursing service on a regular basis in the absence of the Head Nurse.
- Promote effective treatment of patients through the safe management and administration of medication including stock auditing and ordering, and the administration of medications being used for detoxification purposes.
- Monitor and observe patients who are undergoing detoxification and promptly report any concerns to the doctor on duty.
- Supervise and direct junior staff in accordance with the hospital’s written policies and procedures.
- Ensure a high standard of communication at nursing shift handovers and ensure that comprehensive notes have been made in the nursing Kardex and on the electronic patient data record (KIPU).
- Carry out the nurse’s role in the admission of patients in compliance with the hospital’s admission procedure.
- Carry out the nurse’s role in the discharge of patients in compliance with the hospital’s discharge procedures.
- Participate in and contribute to meetings of the multidisciplinary team.
- Ensure, in relation to the hospital’s confidentiality procedure, that all patient-identifiable information is logged securely and cannot be viewed by third parties.
- Ensure that the conduct of staff is always of a high professional standard and report to the Lead Clinical Nurse if there are any concerns.
- Ensure that the care delivered is of a high standard and appropriate to the needs of the patients.
- Participate in the hospital’s supervision arrangements.
- Participate in CPD.
- Participate in the induction of new staff.
- Undertake such other duties as may be deemed necessary from time to time and directed by the Medical Director/Hospital Manager or Head Nurse.
- Health & Safety Officer duties for Castle Craig Hospital
- Previous working experience in a similar position
- Ideal candidates have good interpersonal skills – a caring, supportive, understanding and compassionate approach to your role. You will also understand the importance of maintaining boundaries.
- Experience working with substance abuse or psychiatric nursing is a benefit.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- Flexible and used to working on their own initiative
- Strong team skills
- Able and willing to undergo further appropriate training
- A good communicator with good oral and written skills and ability to undertake administrative duties within the role
- Aware of current Health and Safety Procedures
- Committed to the values of Castle Craig.
- Own a car and a clean driving licence
- Good digital administrative skills
- Educated to Degree level
Salary: £17.14 per hour
- Discounted or free food
- Gym membership
- On-site parking
- 12-hour shift
- Day shift
- Night shift
- nursing: 2 years (preferred)
- registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). (required)
- driving licence (required)
Delivering compassionate care and achieving the best outcomes for people suffering from addictions to alcohol and drugs and mental health conditions, is at the heart of everything we do. All of us at Castle Craig are committed to this purpose.
Castle Craig Hospital is a centre of excellence for the treatment of addiction, rated ‘Exceptional’ by our regulators Healthcare Improvement Scotland. We are an abstinence-based, 12 Step programme for addictions and have run a successful therapy programme since 1988.
We are located 30 minutes from Edinburgh and 45 minutes from Glasgow, in the beautiful Scottish Borders. We are leaders in the UK and European rehab field, treating up to 80 patients onsite and 50 over teletherapy. We also have clinics and networks in Ireland, London, the Netherlands, Sweden and France.